.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In Reel Time

11.28.2005

Proof ****1/2

Gwyneth Paltrow manages to deliver a totally fleshed out character worthy of an Oscar in this witty drama based on the Pulitzer prize-winning play. The sibling rivalry between Paltrow and Hope Davis is fully realized and incredibly realistic. The great thing about this film is that it manages to find the humor in the dramatic moments and never sinks into a schmaltzy drama or love story, without playing for laughs. Jake Gyllenhaal and Anthony Hopkins in supporting roles, manage to anchor the film in reality without overshadowing the main character or detracting from the heart of the film, which is more of an internal struggle with Paltrow's character coming to terms with her fears, her genius, and her trust issues.

I absolutely love that they did a movie set in Chicago that they *gasp* actually shot in Chicago! Go figure! Also, it was pointed out to me that they actually took the time to show the actual way to get somewhere when the characters are going somewhere instead of say, When Harry Met Sally when they are traveling in the opposite direction while supposedly leaving Chicago for New York. A little attention to the details, got to love it. That being said, it surprised me greatly that the sound mixing in the beginning of the movie was so abominable. The entire first 2 or 3 scenes the sound of the rain and the characters voices kept switching levels and it was terribly distracting. At first I thought it must have been the theatre I was seeing it in, but as it magically fixed itself without the help of anyone at the theatre I realized it must have been the film itself. For a film that gets everything else so right I don't understand why they'd leave such a glaring mistake.

The ending of the film also leaves something to be desired. Although I must admit I never finished reading the play and don't know how it ended, I just found it very anti-climatic without any sense of closure. In the genre of tortured slightly crazy mathematical genius movies, this blows a Beautiful Mind out of the water. Which makes me very sad that so few people seem to be watching this movie, I think it's already out of theatres. With this release being one of the last of the Weinstein brothers productions under the Miramax banner, I would fully expect to see this released on DVD before the Oscars and a huge marketing push. So don't count it out, put it on your must see DVD list - it delivers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home